Sunday, December 31, 2006

Do You Skype?

What, you might ask, is Skype? It is a little piece of software that lets you make free calls via your computer to anyone else who has Skype (Mac or PC), anywhere in the world. Even though the calls are free, they are excellent quality. If you and your friends and family send e-mails, why not actually talk? And you can also make video calls. Or you can buy time to use landlines and mobile phones at really cheap per minute rates (and there's no setup or subscription fee).

Now, how does an old lady like me know all of this? My teacher was Andrew, who loaded this onto my computer, got the whole thing set up, showed me how to use it once (he of the nimble, retentive brain), and then went home. Now what??? If I keep on it, I'll figure it out. I actually got a call from him today, complete with video, and a call from Marie in Cuyutlán. The connection with her wasn't all that great, but we're working on it.

And now to the patient. Good today. He ate some soup with tiny bits of bread in it, but was able to get it down. His throat is sore for reasons he doesn't understand, but might be because he has some soup yesterday that was a bit spicy. He had said that "After the first of the year I will begin eating more" and the "first of the year" is tomorrow. I expect great progress.

We wish all of you a very Happy New Year. My wishes for the new year are three: that Jim be restored to good health; that peace be given unto all; and that I find an elegant apartment in Paris, really cheap, that someone is dying to get rid of. The first is probable; the second is possible; but the third is iffy.

Happy New Year

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home