Saturday, November 18, 2006

Every Day is Different

Yesterday Jim was very weak and sick. But today he has had what I would characterize as a good day. First thing he wanted to go up to the Farmers' Market to buy tomatoes to make his (family famous) roasted tomato soup. So we trundled off to browse through the various stalls on this bright November morning. I wish I had taken my camera because one vendor had a gorgeous pile of Japanese eggplant in gem-like amethyst purple. I bought several to roast for my dinner. When we got home he dove into the preparations for the soup, chopping onions, garlic and tomatoes, roasting them in the oven, then grinding the whole thing in the Cuisinart. After tinkering with the seasoning, adding the broth and heating, it was done. Superb!

This afternoon he managed to sweep some leaves, watch the Ohio-Michigan football game, then the news. But now, at 7 PM, he is sound asleep at the dining room table, unwilling to actually go to bed. I salute him for making every attempt (mostly successful) to have a "normal" day.

As for the movie (see yesterday), I enjoyed it more for the performances of Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin than for the alleged plot. Who knew Meryl was such a singer? I remember the first time I laid eyes on Garrison. I wished I never had. Better that he remain unfleshed. Some things should dwell in the imagination, like your first love. For God's sake don't disturb that fantasy and make it real! You get my drift.

1 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Pica said...

1) Jim's soup sounds sensational.
2) His day sounds astonishing given those that have come before, congratulations Jim.
3) I'm glad, for Jim's sake and Allan's, that Ohio State won, though it sounds like it was a great game and the closest of margins.
4) Meryl Streep did an amazing and creditable impression of Bonnie Raitt in Postcards from the Edge; I didn't know she could sing either, before that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home