Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The end and the beginning



Today marks the end of Jim's treatment and the beginning of his healing and restoration to good health. The treatment part took seven weeks; seven long, painful weeks. The restoration part is going to take about three months; three long, but decreasingly painful months. Dr. Schmidt met with us after Jim's final treatment to talk about healing and restoration. It will take at least two weeks before Jim notices any improvement. Gradually he will be able to swallow more than water; perhaps a little yogurt, a smoothie, some Jello or pudding. His voice will come back but maybe not fully; he may have a sexy gravel voice! He will get his strength back although he will be very tired for the next month. The doc also thinks the kidney issue will resolve over the next few weeks but encourages us to keep a watch out for swelling. Jim got a nice send off from the medical staff at the clinic, including a bead lei to wear as we left.

Tonight we have had a bit of a walkabout, just down to the end of the block and back. We have not done this for a few nights, either because Jim has gone to bed about 6 PM or because he felt too weak. So this is progress. I cooked myself a celebratory meal tonight; Jim poured something through his feeding tube. But no matter how it is marked, this is a day to celebrate. He still has a long way to go, and the next few weeks are not going to be easy. In fact, the doc says that the next week or 10 days are going to be very bad as the radiation is still "active" even though he is not getting more of it. It is a cumulative treatment.

By the weekend after Thanksgiving, things should begin to turn around. I am hoping we will be able to make it all the way around a couple of blocks for our evening walks, that he will be able to sip something other than plain water, and that he will be able to sleep more than two hours at a stretch. He still has a long way to go, but this is the beginning. And I fall on my knees and give thanks that this beginning is finally here.

I will keep writing this blog even though he is finished with treatment. I will continue mainly because it is theraputic for me. Since I am now living with a completely silent partner, with someone who can no longer speak, this is a way for me to "talk" about what's happening. I can just hope that before too long, I can change the focus of this blog to what's going on in beautiful Cuyutlán and our Mexican life. Until then, it's winter in Davis and Jim's healing.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. This year, count all of your blessings.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger Pica said...

Susan -- I meant to mention this earlier, but miso soup is meant to help with radiation sickness. I know he can't do it now, but maybe in a couple of weeks?

In turn, I want to thank YOU for doing all this running around and shuffling and taking the trouble to keep us informed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home