Monday, March 09, 2009

the beautiful kisskadee


I saw this bird on a telephone wire near Jack's casa. I was walking back from the beach, glanced up and saw this lovely flash of yellow. I had seen them in the past but had no idea what they were. And they don't spend much time in town. I consulted with my friend Patty, an accomplished birder, and she knew instantly what it was. Their name comes from the sound of their call: "Kiss-kiss-ka-dee!" They congregate here in the spring, and by April they're gone.

2 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger DAK said...

Hi there. Well, your kiskadee looks exactly like the birds they call Banana Quits in Trinidad -- yellow breasts with raccoon mask. It's good to be back -- I think.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger The Fevered Brain said...

In fact, the Kisskadee is a variation on the Bananaquit. The Bananaquit is about half the size (11 cm) of the Kisskadee, and its plumage is not as bright. It's a more dowdy cousin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home