Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I, the non-juror

I spent yesterday in Department 4 of the Yolo County Superior Court waiting to be seated as a juror. I have managed to avoid jury duty for two or three years since I am never here when called. This time, however, I had no excuse. There were about 70 people in the pool. I never was called into the box and when the jury was finally empaneled there were 20 of us left over. I'm a bit sorry I wasn't chosen; it sounded like an interesting case. The Public Defender was the same one who tried a case on which I did serve as a juror. This was five years ago, I think. Vehicular manslaughter. She was, at that time, not as polished or skilled as one knew she would become. And this time? Assured, relaxed, in command. It was a pleasure to watch her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home