Monday, February 11, 2008

it's too late to change my mind

The tile fellows saw the design I had left in place and, PRESTO! They arrived early this morning (no tinagues for this crowd) and got right to work making it happen.


So any changes I may have wanted to make? Too late. To my surprise that has lifted a tremendous weight from my shoulders. If I end up not liking it I will learn to live with it. But so far, I am quite pleased.

They have started laying down the new floor tiles and they are more beautiful than I had remembered. I ordered 40 bags of PegaPiso this morning, and the guy I talked to, Pedro, was amazed that I needed that many. He asked several times if I was sure; I said yes. So this afternoon he showed up, took a look around and agreed that 40 would probably do it.

It has been a real lesson in tile-laying to watch Jaime do the measurements, make the string grids, and mark out the pattern.

They have used a straight shot from one side of the house to the other to make their center point. This point runs the full width of the house, from the bedroom balcony wall across the terrazzo through the front door and to the far south wall. All subsequent tile will flow from that center point. I thought they might start out on the balcony and move inside. It's a good thing I made my fortune doing something else.

Tomorrow Raul comes in the morning to remove the front door and the two upstairs sliders. He came today and took the measurements for the two new kitchen windows which he said he would have maybe Friday or Monday. I can live with that. Meanwhile we will be off to Tecoman to hunt down the missing toilet, ordered almost 4 weeks ago and promised for three weeks ago, buy more tiles, get money to pay Jaime and his workers, and go to the market if we think it's necessary. Then it's back home to be dazed and amazed by the skill and hard work of this great crew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home