Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Back to the Hospital

Jim's doc called this morning to say that he suspects blood clots are causing the swelling. He ordered an ultra sound at the main hospital. So after my delicious morning constitutional and an even more delicious foot/leg massage, we packed up and went to Sacramento. The ultra sound was a fascinating experience. When I was pregnant with my daughters an ultra sound was virtually unknown for the in utero examination. Maybe for anything else, too. Now it is run of the mill.

By the time we got home, the doc had received the results and left a message that Jim did NOT have any clots. His kidney function is about the same as it was last week; no worse. That was very good news but did not answer the question of why he has so much swelling. The doc recommended taking a diuretic for a few days to see if that helps. He will start that tomorrow morning.

Jim has slept away most of the afternoon, gurgling away in the Eames chair, feet elevated. I, in the meanwhile, have been contemplating my Thanksgiving dinner. I have decided that a 27 lb. turkey for one is too extravagant, too wasteful, and I really don't like turkey all that much. The dark meat, my favorite, is always gone by the time I make it to the buffet table. My market has lamb shanks on sale and that appeals to me. Tomorrow I'll go an buy myself one, braise it with some garlic and onions, pour some broth and wine over it and cook it in the oven for a couple of hours. That, with roasted potatoes, some sprouts and perhaps a bit of a fruit salad and I will be more than thankful. As for Jim, he'll pour another 500 calories through the tube and call it dinner.

My cold seems to be progressing as usual. I should be totally laid out by Thursday.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Pica said...

Great news about the clots; hope the swelling responds to the diuretics.

Good for you for foregoing the 27 lb turkey. Sounds like a small dinner à deux is more the ticket anyway if you have a cold!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home