Saturday, June 21, 2008

almost Arles



Here in the valley we are blessed with rich, fertile soil (except in my garden!). Along with the Imperial Valley we produce much of the fruits and vegetables for California and beyond. I wasn't here to see the fruit blossoms in the Capay Valley and along I-80 west, but I did catch sight of these sunflower fields just north of our town. A splendid vision.

Here, for your edification, some 5-second movie reviews of what I have seen during the last week. Charlie Wilson's War: Philip Seymore Hoffman is brilliant. Otherwise, just OK. I think Tom Hanks was badly mis-cast. Dogville: V. avant garde. Nicole Kidman is excellent but it's w-a-y too long. The Pursuit of Happyness: keep the Kleenex® handy. Out of the Past: old (1947) film noir that made Robert Mitchum a BIG star.

The days have been hot here; it was 100º yesterday and will be the same today. Good pool weather, but so enervating all I want to do is nap and read. I did manage to pull myself together for a lovely out-to-dinner with Babz. We ate locally, sat outside in the warm night, ordered big salads and got all caught up.

Today I'm off to a lunch party at Tra Vigne in St. Helena. My most favorite eatery in the valley. I'll report in later with, I hope, photos.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

I agree w/ your movie reviews and we also love Tra Vigne ~ could you sit outside or was it too hot? We are feeling a light ocean breeze right now, most welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home