Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red"


This is Percy Shelley's description of the autumn landscape in Ode to the West Wind, not mine unfortunately. But it perfectly describes what our little town looks like these days. I drove from east to west this morning ~ from massage to teeth-cleaning ~ and the foliage is gorgeous. It isn't New Hampshire, but for a town in the Sierra foothills, it's quite a show.

The GE repair man arrived at 8 AM, was in and out in about 20 minutes, and handed over a bill for $349. But it was well spent. I check on-line for a new stove like the one we have: $1200! And this is just a basic turn-it-on-and-cook sort of thing. No bells, no whistles, nothing fancy. What has happened to the appliance industry while I wasn't looking?

One more proposed cabinet appointment: Eric Holder for AG. If he can get by his (minor) roll in the Mark Rich pardon by Clinton in 2000, he'll get Senate confirmation. I'm happy with this pick. I'm sure my comfort level is important to the new prez.

62 days until 1/20/2009: End of an Error

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home