Sunday, March 29, 2009

the virgin's vigil


Solace and comfort can come from the most unexpected places, can't they? In this little village there are many kind and caring souls. One of them is a big, blustery chap from Wisconsin who has found, among other things, a politically conservative soul mate in the Patient. (Linda, if you're reading this you know whom I mean!) Today he gave me the traditional Virgin of Guadalupe vigil candle for my sister. He is the last person I would have expected to have done this. I just about wept right in his presence. (I waited until I got home.) He has proved to be what I always though he was: a big, soft Teddy Bear in hiding. I have lighted the candle. It will burn for 7 days.

My brother-in-law called from New Haven to let me know that Vicky is having an MRI today to see how good the circulation is in her lower leg and foot. That will determine the extent of the surgery.

Now on to happier things. I talked with granddaughter Emily ~ we missed one another on her 15th birthday ~ and was very pleased to learn that she has been accepted at Thacher School for next year. This is the place where her grandfather, father and brother went. She'll be holding up a long tradition. She is going for an introductory weekend next Friday, then she has to make up her mind and let them know by April 10. She will have to give up rowing if she goes, so it will be a trade-off. As she has sagely pointed out, "If I don't like it I can always come home and row. But if I stay and don't like rowing, I'm stuck." Smart woman!

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

The candle is one of those wonderful surprises and why so many of us carry a Kleenex® in our pocket. Not rolled up in the sleeve, pls. Keep us posted on the sis...

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger DAK said...

She has to give up rowing to go to High School? Wow, these are different choices than I had.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger The Fevered Brain said...

Yes, it appears so. Thacher is in Ojai; no water except on some minimal lake in the hills. Knowing my daughter ~ Em's mother ~ she will campaign for a rowing program for girls at Thacher and, if her past history is any indication, will have a full-blown program going within 6 months, funded by a bunch of the rich parents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home