Thursday, November 23, 2006

It was Delicious!

Aside from my nasty cold, this was a beautiful Thanksgiving Day. The weather here was beautiful; clear, sunny, crisp, bright. I didn't make it out for my walk; the cold has, as expected, taken over my life. I talked to Cait and Alex and my sister, all of whom were doing some sort of traditional celebration with friends and family. It made me think of Thanksgivings past when would pack up and drive to Santa Rosa for a couple of days to celebrate with old law school friends. We had dinner with the same group of friends for 33 years. The routine was always the same and the things each person brought as offering were the same; the Chaffees brought desserts and fruit breads for the next morning's breakfast. We would eat, play board games or do jigsaw puzzles, spend the night, have another feast in the morning, make turkey sandwiches, hug good-bye and look forward to the next year. The host couple are gone now and the group has fallen apart. I still miss it.

I cooked a yummy meal for myself. The shank was tender and succulent. The potatoes were creamy and sweet. The sprouts were crunchy and pungent. The salad was sweet and crisp with a bit of snap to the walnuts. The only culinary faux pas was, of course, the (gasp!) white wine with the lamb, but I am a Sauvignon Blanc kind of gal and I thought it was very complementary and delectable. No dessert. Perhaps a cookie before bed. I used my mother's wedding china as a treat. I inherited service for 12, including plates and bowls I don't even know a use for! The table was quite festive with the flowers from sisters-in-law and candles in little holders I bought in Mexico. True, it was "Table for One" but it was still very tasty.

Half and hour later, here's what was left.
And even though he could only sit by and watch, Jim did the dishes and cleaned up. I wish he could have rewarded himself with a big bite of something, but alas, not this year.

Jim had a bit of energy this morning, but it flagged by about 11 AM. He slept on the couch for about an hour but has been up watching football since. He is still showing signs of edema in his feet and legs, even though he is taking the diuretic. We'll live through the weekend and talk to the doc on Monday. It has been nine days since he finished treatment and he is impatient for concrete signs of improvement. They will come but not yet. Slowly.

I am hoping my cold will subside and I can get out and walk tomorrow morning. I don't know how long this glorious weather is going to last but I need to make the most of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home