Sunday, January 28, 2007

Weekend work

Yesterday I went off to a fabric wonderland in Sacramento to lend an eye to a friend who is reupholstering a couch and a chair. In my halcyon days I was a sewing fool, but since the eyes have been acting up I have given it up in favor of buying retail. So along with her, friend Babz and some measurements for a project of my own, we descended on the place. It is a huge warehouse filled, and I do mean filled with thousands of bolts of mainly upholstery fabric, but there are also drapery/curtain materials, trims, tassels, soutaches in gorgeous shimmering silk. For myself I was looking for outdoor canvas to make new coveers for two sling chairs and some director's chairs that we have at the beach house. Here's what I found.




The two stripes and the pink floral are for the director's chairs; the red floral is for the sling chairs and one director's chair for the guest room. The sling chairs sit out in a small front patio that is off the guest room. The other chairs are used mainly up on the 3rd floor terrace. It will all be as colorful as all get out. When I get them together I'll take a snap for this site. I bought this fabric as insurance that we really are going at the end of February. I even contacted the auto insurance chap about arranging our usual policy. So now we must go.

While I was out involved in filthy commerce the Patient was puttering in the garden, doing more clipping and trimming. When I got home I noticed that the fellow next door had begun choppiing down a huge bay laurel tree in his backyard. For several years this tree has gradually encroached on our garden and our back neighbor's garden, and had been dropping seeds that turned into tiny sprouts of bay laurel tree. Now that the tree is gone our butterfly bush will have sun and may even bloom again. The good thing about this is that I now have a lifetime supply of bay leaves scavenged from the huge piles of debris on the street.

As for the Patient's diet, his eating has slowed. Not much yesterday; not much today. Mostly soups, although he did try a bit of steak and some steamed potatoes last night. Tonight was only cream of potatoe soup. Perhaps more tomorrow. The Bionic Woman (that would be me) goes back to the hospital tomorrow to get unhooked from the glucose monitor. I'll get the readout in a few days and those numbers may call for an adjustment to the insulin pump.

This afternoon I watched an old black and white film, Separate Tables. Great cast including Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Wendy Hiller, Burt Lancaster, David Niven (I think he got an Oscar for this role). But now it's back to the Masterpiece Theatre presentation of "Jane Eyre." Maybe she won't get Mr. Rochester this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home