Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday Supper

When I was away at boarding school about a zillion years ago it occurred to me that Sunday's dinner was a mish-mash of everything that had not been a top seller during the week. Likewise at those times when I was at home on Sundays, since that was my father's busiest day, my mother would cobble together a tasty patchwork of several previous nights' leftovers and we would eat in the den on what were described as "TV Trays." In fact, those were some of my favorite meals, much less formal than those during the week. My parents, being of an age, "dressed" for dinner. Those affairs were always delicious but awfully stiff. Not quite finger bowls, but close. My original plan for dinner tonight was a chicken potpie, using a recipe I had seen in Sunset a couple of months ago. But after rummaging in the fridge to see what was needed for such an endeavour I discovered lots of odds and ends that could probably be made into something edible. And the Patient said he wasn't very hungry. So, thinking "Waste Not, Want Not" we sat down to delicous vegetable soup with shreds of b-b-que pork, three-quarters of a salmon cake that the Patient had not eaten on Friday night, some still-crispy steamed veggies, a Samuel Adams beer (for him) and a lovely glass of Viognier (for me). Sunday supper. The potpie is for tomorrow.

A lovely walk this morning after the cleansing rain. The sky was a clear blue, the air fresh and fragrant, gardens along our route bursting with blooms or about-to-be-blooms buds. Unfortunately my daffodils were vicitms of the rain; it beat upon their tender blossoms and bent them into the ground so they had to be snipped and turned into boquets. There are still shoots that haven't bloomed yet that survived the downpour.

The Patient drove up to Sears this morning to buy a new garage door opener. It will be installed Wednesday or Thursday. This means we had to move our packing piles out of the garage and into the house so the chap who installs the opener has some room to work. We now have "take to Mexico" stuff stacked up in the hallway, the living room, our bedroom. Why do we think we need all this?

The covers for the director's chairs and sling chairs arrived on Saturday. They are gorgeous. You'll have to wait to see them until I get it all set up and take a photo in situ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home