Friday, May 18, 2007

The Inadvertent Gardener

I received the URL to the above site in answer to my plea yesterday for a place to go for gardening inspiration, if not advice. Nicole, the cook at Pinch My Salt responded with the information. The writer lives in Iowa and has discovered that her "black thumb" has turned green. Delightful (and inspiring) reading. Along this line, I received my copy of Sunset's Western Garden today. My old paperback copy, probably 30 years old, somehow disappeared. Loaned, lost or given away, although that's hard to believe. I invested in the new and improved edition, in hardback to reward myself for all the hard work I've been doing in the garden. In the valley we are gardening-challenged on several counts: red hot summers that will fry almost everything you plant unless it is specifically engineered to withstand the heat; semi-drought so the plants have to be able to exist with minimal irrigation; and caretaker sloth, almost impossible to combat. We always have good intentions. Surely that counts for something.

2 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger Genie said...

Hey, if good intentions didn't count for something, I would produce nothing whatsoever from my little patch of the earth. Thanks for the shout-out (and thanks to Nicole for the recommendation -- she and I are in a mutual admiration club, actually!), and good luck with the gardening! I'll look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger mary ann said...

Trust that it is worse in SF with the fog and the knowledge that the nabes on either side can totally neglect their meyer lemon trees and they are full of bright yellow globes, while we pamper our five (4 now dead and gone) with food and too much/not enough water and daily checks from worried owners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home