Friday, June 15, 2007

Root Beer Float weather

Captain Carb came home with a 4-pack of Virgil's Micro Brew Root Beer and a carton of Dryer's Double Vanilla ice cream. Next thing I knew he was slurping down a root beer float. Good calorie count on that one. It was cooler today; only about 98º. Even cooler tomorrow; 95º if we're lucky.

The town is chock-a-block with parents and other family here to celebrate the graduation of their loved ones. After this weekend the town will be ours again. Students gone. No lines at supermarkets, banks, restaurants. It will be quiet and peaceful for the next three and a half months. It's nice the education industry, our main employer, takes a holiday.

I trust everyone has been reading the hilarious account of the judge in Washington, D.C. who is suing his dry cleaner for $54 million for misplacing a pair of pants. No? You've missed it? Google Roy L. Pearson and read all about it. Even the Trial Lawyers Association is mortified by his antics. and that's going some.

Finished the truly astonishing Life of Pi. Next read: Map of the World by Jane Hamilton.

3 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

I was disappointed in the "Pi" ending, but loved the rest of the book and it changed the way I think of zoos for ever after ~ you?

"Map of the World" is one of the best, but v. difficult subject matter. Don't give up, it is excellent

I think you would enjoy "On Chesil Beach"...but it's still in HC.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger The Fevered Brain said...

I read the New Yorker excerpt of McEwan's latest. He's hard for me. It's because his characters are so, um, uh, English. Or stereotypically so. Reserved, repressed, unseen. He doesn't give us a motive for his characters' behavior nor, sometimes, do we ever get to know who they are. Perhaps those two are the same things. I very much liked Atonement. Not so much Amsterdam or Saturday. Endless Love lost me almost immediately; I guess I don't do obsession.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger The Fevered Brain said...

Sorry folks. Actually it's Enduring Love. But it's still nutty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home