Wednesday, January 02, 2008

how do you say . . .

Santa Ana in Spanish? Do you suppose it's Santa Ana? The reason I ask is that we have been plagued by fierce, hot winds all day, beginning at about 8 AM. I must admit it was a good day to do laundry: by the time I finished hanging things out the first items were dry. Or almost. I left the house to walk up to the Telecom office to pay the phone bill, got as far as the corner and turned around and came home. Too hot to walk anywhere. It registered 86º on the terrazzo this afternoon at Jack's; it never gets over about 75º in the shade. But by 6 PM the cooling sea breezes had come up and now, at 9 PM is is very pleasant, with a light, cool breeze calming things down.

If it's Wednesday it must be dominoes. I brought home the bronze.

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

This was from one of my first posts back in 2005. Don't you love it?

Every afternoon here in Bernal Heights the wind picks
up, making it unpleasant to sit on the deck and read.
Too bad, but not serious like those Santa Ana winds.
I have a friend who always says, "I don't care for the
wind", as though it's the first time he has told me this.

I'm reading Joan Didion's description of those rough
hot,dry Southern California winds in a book that Dr. J
loaned me several months ago and I just now discovered
on the stack of books on my bed stand. "Slouching Towards
Bethlehem", thoughtfully pre-highlighted by the Doctor.

Ms. Didion quotes Raymond Chandler writing about such
a wind. "On nights like that, every booze party ends in a
fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife
and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen".

According to Joan Didion, these Santa Anas usually last for
3-4 days and are common in Southern California. One,
however, lasted for 14(!) days back in 1957, and she lists
the number of unusual murders, horrific fires and peculiar
accidents during those two weeks.

(sorry about using more space for my comment than your post ~ what are writing friends for?)

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger The Fevered Brain said...

Yes, I know that quote from Chandler, and have read the Didion book, but years ago. Here, the hot winds died down after sunset and it was cool during the night. No winds this morning but v. hot all day. Big storm in Caribbean is apparently causing these strange weather patterns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home