Thursday, April 24, 2008

welcome to dead battery land

I am home after an easy flight and a warm welcome from neighbors who picked me up. The fridge was full of good things to eat, the bed was made, and I hardly remembered that I had been gone for 7 months. But then reality began to set in. Phone battery in office was dead. Car battery was dead. Computer battery ditto. Three of the four ceiling lights in the bedroom were burned out. Three of the five in the kitchen were burned out. The light in the dryer was burned out. The TV didn't work. What's going on here?? The last couple of days have been spent replacing, repairing, recharging. AAA will come today to juice up the car so I can at least go buy more goodies for the fridge.

I have missed all the gorgeous blooms in my garden. What's left are piles of wisteria blossoms, the dead heads of daffs and iris, exhausted ranuncs. What's still there, however, are a beautiful show of rock rose, zillions of bright orange poppies, and the delicious lavender covered in purpl-y-blue flowers. Picture will be put up when I get my Ferrari Mac back after the Patient's arrival. The one mentioned above is an old Chevy that just keeps running but doesn't do tricks.

I saw my doc yesterday afternoon and everything is just fine. He did not go so far as to say I came home for no reason, but he was in agreement that things were vastly improved. He did a bit of snipping and trimming, but nothing that probably couldn't have waited. However, it's now done and I don't have to think about it any more.

The Patient will leave on Sunday and get home in about a week. In the meantime, I will have plenty of time to clean up in the garden, get some planting done, get caught up on a mountain of mail, including 7 months of New Yorkers ~ I don't even know where to start. I am taking the computer to the hospital tomorrow for what I hope will just be a battery replacement. If that['s all it is, I'll be back on the blog in no time.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger mary ann said...

It's just better not to worry about that foot, even if this was not a lovely exit for either of you. I hope The Patient has a cell phone to check in with you on his drive. Or maybe his phone battery is dead too? In the meantime, you have plenty to do there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home