Thursday, March 29, 2007

and what did you have for breakfast?

I sat down to a luscious big slab of watermelon, the seedless kind, that I bought from the truck of the melon man who drives around town a couple of times a week. Sweet and juicy! I walked up to Baby's market this morning and bought a fresh talera bun. This ambrosial bread looks like a big, puffy English muffin, but it's not sour or coarse. I think it is made with the same ingredients as the more pedestrian boleo. It's just shaped differently and is dusted with flour on top. It is absolute heaven! I'll take a photo of one side-by-side with a boleo so you can see the difference. Would have done that this morning but I was so excited to find one that I fell on it as soon as I got home. Baby does not always have them so it's a special treat.

The town is gearing up for the Semana Santa crowds. A week from now the town will begin to fill up with vacationers, the f-ing outdoor disco right aross the street will crank up making sleep impossible until about 4 AM, and the quiet life of Cuyutlán will be turned into a circus. It will be chaos through Easter Sunday. Then we will have a break of a couple of days after the first wave of revelers goes home. The second wave comes for Pasqua, the week after Easter. The disco will rev up again on Wednesday and go through Saturday. Then it's over. It's really horrible, but it's part of life here so we get through it somehow. Within a few days we have caught up on all that lost sleep, the food, drink and souvenir stalls have all been taken down and left, and the town settles back into it's usual somnolence. Until next year . . .

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger mary ann said...

Baby's Market ~ I like that name! Sorry about the upcoming noise and mess, that would make me crazy too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home